Sunday, May 27, 2007

Slow Sunday


I adore having a slow Sunday. Sleeping in, getting up slowly, playing with the dogs, drinking coffee and reading the paper - WOW, it just can't get better than that. So seldom does a day allow me the time to truly just go at whatever pace I want.

So often, I am fixated on a schedule that is mandated by getting to work, scheduled time to accomplish tasks and working with clients and marketing plus all the other things that make my life work. Our time is so full during the week and the weekends. Here it is we have a Monday that is a holiday and in my mind that allows me time that I don't normally have. Which of course is a total fiction.

Time is a challenge and managing our time is critical to our very well being. I know that just because Monday is a holiday how I work with time is ultimately my choice. No one places demands on my time or puts things into my schedule but me. Of course, certain tasks are time consumers just because of the type of task. For example, washing the dishes. You have to take whatever time required to wash and put the dishes away. There isn't a middle ground. Another is getting dressed in the morning. Of course, if you are allowed casual attire getting dressed probably doesn't take that much time, but showering and doing what is necessary always takes time. Certain things would be definitely unpleasant if we skipped them.

It is interesting that somehow I believe that I have a windfall of time this morning because of the holiday. In actuality, I am taking the time to relax, reflect and enjoy some slow leisure moment that nourishes my soul. I must be on a roll with all that has happened since Friday afternoon.

When is the last time that you planned some real leisure, no plans made time? It is critical that we don't fill every minute of the day with a must or a should. I guess my message for this entire Memorial Day Weekend is to schedule regular down time. I know I have not and I am making up for it this weekend.

Have fun doing nothing.


Mary Catherine George

LifeChoices Coach

No comments: