Sunday, July 29, 2007

Accountability



Finding a way to be accountable to myself is a challenge. I have found that with the support of my woman's group, we meet two times each month, moving forward on some issues works. Other issues, well, it doesn't work as easily. Accountability is a concept, I believe, ultimately gets to the root of what we want to accomplish with the time we have on this earth.
I know that if I don't put time frames around issues, or some accountability on some projects that I won't move forward. Change is a difficult process. I need all the help and accountability I can get when it comes to change in my personal life. I need support, focus and someone, other than myself, to hold me accountable to accomplish what I say I want to accomplish.
I value the woman's group so much because it is a gentle reminder that I am accountable to take action on the things I say I want in my life. If I never take action, I am just flapping my gums together and wasting my time and others. Action, movement, picking up the phone, filling out the form, what ever that first step is in my process to take charge and work towards what I want in my life is never easy. That's right it isn't easy, taking the first step. We all feel uncertain about taking that first step, but WOW when things start to happen all because we took that first step it doesn't seem as difficult as we thought. That is why accountability is a marvelous process. It can be that little supportive nudge we need in the moment to pick up the phone or fill out that form.

Plus, it feels wonderful to share with others the success or challenge of taking that first step. Accountability is really a process of support and guidance. Sometimes, when I am working with a client, it is such a reward to hear how things are moving forward all because they had the courage and support to take that first step. Also, reflecting back to my client the reminder of the courage and care they needed to take their first step towards a goal.
Working effectively with ourselves takes accountability. Whether it is working with a coach, a supportive group, or your own self defined process, targeting a deadline to accomplish a task is not always as straightforward as we think. Discovering what holds us back or challenges us to take those first steps can be so helpful. If we never look at what the barriers are in our life we can never truly fill our life with what we want.
Time is not standing still for any of us. I know this only too well. I work in the medical field and it is a constant reminder that time is limited. If we don't account for our time in some way, we can never truly know how to use our time working towards the goals of what we want in our life.
How do you use your time and hold yourself accountable? Can you remember what you did last week, last month, or last year? How do you move your life in the direction of your dreams if you cannot say what you are doing with your time. Come join me in exploring this process.
Until tomorrow,
Mary Catherine George
LifeChoices Coach

No comments: