Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Disappointment


I don't know how we learn to deal with being disappointed. It is very discouraging to work hard on something and then have everything either fall apart, not turn out as we expected or just be not what we expected.
It can be devastating to embrace the emotion of disappointment, but we all have to at some time. Not everything we want works out in our favor. It can be frustrating, depressing and can definitely take the energy away from future projects.
How I react to disappointment is really what is critical. I have a tendency to hold on to disappointment. It lingers in the back of my mind. Especially, if I am working on a similar project that did not work out. I am haunted by thoughts of failure or feelings of impending doom. Now, this is not exactly a good thing. It takes away energy and the positive vision for the outcome of new projects.

So, I have learned to have my moment with my disappointment. Feel it fully. Cry, write about it and really go all out. I want this feeling be expressed fully. It can be hard to shake and sometimes I feel the disappointment linger for a couple of days before I can move forward. I have even visualized place my disappointment in a coffin and giving it a funeral service.
Once, a few days pass, I can slowly emerge from this place in my spirit and take on the other projects that inspire my life. I can even look at the project that was disappointing and objectively figure out what changes could be made to move to a different outcome.

It is important to understand how we deal with disappointment. Allowing it to linger or influence future projects is not helpful. I know that by validating my feeling of disappointment and giving it room to breath, I can get past this feeling and move forward in a positive light.
Please share your ideas about coping with disappointment. When was the last time you were disappointed? What did you do, how did you feel? It can be so helpful to understand how we manage this emotion so that it doesn't over power and influence the future.

Until tomorrow,
Mary Catherine George
LifeChoices Coach

No comments: