Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Going Around in Circles


Do you feel like you just keep repeating the same behavior time and time again? Nothing you do keeps you from doing again and again things that just don't serve you?

Boy! do I understand this issue. I am not sure why I find that there are some characteristics that I have that just keep repeating themselves. Despite my efforts, I fall into the routine of doing the same thing.
Like my schedule. I will put important things into my schedule that I want to honor. These activities are important to me and in the grand scheme of things are aligned with the direction I want my life headed. Somehow, I am side-tracked or interrupted and what I wanted to accomplish doesn't happen. It is subtle, these interruptions, by those who I believe are important.

YIKES!! Something that earns me more money or is important to a friend or just whatever will appear and I am suddenly off taking care of something unplanned. I do not want this. I want change. Of course, on occasion these types of interruptions are allowed but on a daily basis - forget it.
So today, I am engaging in new behavior that I will stick with NO MATTER WHAT! I will not answer e-mail all daily, I will look at it twice daily, morning and late afternoon. I will not answer my phone just because it rings. I will return messages twice daily as well. If I do not do this, I will never have even an solid hour that is uninterrupted.

Taking charge of my schedule is MY responsibility. No one else's. If things are hectic and unscheduled that is because I AM causing this. Only I can fix this. I am fearful that I cannot achieve this, but with diligence and looking for ways to delegate and train those that I oversee, it could be possible,
The one person that needs the most training though is ME!! I am awful when it comes to just doing one thing. I feel such an urgent need to multi-task it is crazy. I know that this constant interruption to my train of thought isn't useful but somehow I cannot stay focused. Now is this a habit or is this my personality.

Over the next two weeks, I am going to maintain a schedule and see what happens each week. Is it possible for me to be consistent or am I just telling myself I want to be this way and I don't truly have the ability or desire? I am anxious about observing this issue within myself, but I know that if I don't change cannot truly happen.

So, join me in this journey. How do you accomplish activities you desire to get done? How do you work with your scheduling and interruptions? Please share. We can all learn from those who do a lot and understand their scheduling needs. I know I don't want to continue going in circles and doing the same thing over and over.
Until tomorrow,
Mary Catherine George
LifeChoices Coach.

No comments: