Saturday, July 7, 2007

Motivation


How do we stay motivated. I must admit, I woke up today just feeling that somehow all this work that I am doing is getting me nowhere. I realize that it does have something to do with getting older.



Yes, I celebrated another birthday last month. It was okay at the time, but now as I reflect and think of where I am in my life, well I feel a big sense of disappointment. Now, rationally, I know that isn't true, but the feeling is still very strong.



Actually, perhaps sadness is more like it. Funny how our life doesn't go in the direction that we thought we were heading. Finding a feeling of motivation just doesn't seem easy today. Motivation to sing, write, clean, run errands or just do the things that are necessary. I really had this feeling of just wanting to mope around and just watch TV. Nothing that I had as a task was motivating me to get started.

So, I made a deal with myself to just start cleaning during commercials. Once, I started then things just began to snowball. I cleaned, began organizing and then it felt good to get things done. Instead of being in touch with my overall sad feeling, I was beginning to be in touch with the good feeling of getting things done.

Funny how that is. When you don't feel motivated that just by starting something the energy of getting things done sudden takes over. I will definitely have to remember this. Just to start. Even when I don't feel like doing anything. Starting is half the battle to getting closer to the things we desire. If we never start then whatever we want stays a dream somewhere in our head.

Just starting can jump start that energy to fuel motivation. Once engaged in the activity then I feel motivated and encouraged again. If I stay connected to that sad feeling that wants to focus on negativity, I will get nowhere fast. Getting started and just take a move in any direction at least can get the fires going to go forward.

So, the next time you are feeling that you have lost that connection to your motivation. Just start something, any activity. Once started, you can at least shake off that negative feeling. Who wants to sit around feeling down anyway. Please share what you do to get motivated.

Until tomorrow,

Mary Catherine George
LifeChoices Coach





No comments: