Thursday, June 7, 2007

A Southern Slow Down

It is amazing when you leave where you are everyday and visit some place. Your view changes. Here I am now in the middle of the deep South with bright sun, humid air and intense green trees and plants every where. Everyday in New York, I am surrounded by concrete, dirt, huge buildings, time pressures and the constant mass of people.


It is so helpful to leave the city behind. Here I am with fresh eyes getting a nice view of where I am with my life. I shared with my mother that it is like there is more oxygen here and you can really take a slow deep breath. Visiting my family has always been difficult. My family is very large and the life I live is extremely different from almost anyone. It is challenging to share what I do because we just don't have much in common.

Most of my family have houses and children and live a life that is generally full of the things that most people understand. My life on the other hand is that of an artist, researcher and coach consultant. This involves rehearsals, performances, science, medicine, coaching clients and writing. A good deal of my time is spent either alone or with groups of people doing these same activities. Yes, there are discussions about children and home life, but they are all a bit unusual.

I have become accustomed to not sharing about what I do. It is just easier to create general statements that share a sample of what my life contains. During family discussions, I am reminded of how different I live. I can't join in discussions about children or maintaining a home. I do find myself relaxing and that time is moving slower and wondering what my life would be like if I was still living here. It is nice to stand in this place to recognize how I have chosen to live.

Yes, I appreciate very much my southern roots. I appreciate the silence, nature and the sounds of the train in the background. It is great to visit. Being here at home does renew my spirit, but I also find myself yearning for the individuality of my lifestyle. It is challenging to recognize that the life I have is not what most people embrace. I do not have a home, I rent a small (very small) space in Manhattan, which for most people would be absurd when they hear the cost. I live without a car and have four dachshunds which I adore. I either perform or attend improv theater almost every week and sing everyday. I work in medical research and coach clients to invite choices that bring them closer to living the life they love.

When is the last time that you visited home or went someplace that gave you a new view on your life? how are you choosing what your life contains? Please share if you would. If you haven't done something maybe it is time to schedule a time away from your routine. I know being away now, makes me aware of those things I want to keep in my life and those things I want to let go. Distance makes things so clear.

Until tomorrow,
Mary Catherine George
LifeChoices Coach

photo courtesy of www.snakenationpress.org

No comments: