Monday, June 18, 2007

The Road to Success


It does feel sometimes that we are always just a short distance away from becoming successful. If x were happening or if y would come through we would definitely arrive at the destination of success.
Unfortunately, success is not so simple. Nor is it something that once accomplished we just sit on the couch and enjoy the rewards. Success comes in small handfuls and the more we can rejoice in the smallness of success the more we will find our self feeling satisfied and happy.
Each day we begin with a specific set of items we would like to accomplish by the end of the day. If we set about completing these items and at the end of the day these things are done - HEY - the day was a success! Simple it sounds. Right? I know for me I get it into my head that if I achieve a certain amount of money or recognition then I would know that I was successful. Is this true? NO!
I am successful each day that I arrive at my job, accomplish most of the work for the day, work with clients to increase awareness and promote what I do for a living. On top of this, I am cleaning a home, looking after 4 dachshunds, a boyfriend and a dear friend who has a chronic illness. I often need to remind myself that as far as success goes, things are going well.
I am not sure why the idea of success gets twisted in my mind. Whether it is the expectations of others or of myself that I get down about why I haven't achieved some specific ideal of success. I guess for me I believe I would be allowed to rest, but that is a fiction as well. Resting is not something that is done after completing a project. Maybe momentarily, but I am a true believer in the idea that if you are not pushing to change and grow, you will be decaying and static.
One of my favorite quotes is from Louisa May Alcott an American Writer, (1832-1888):
"Far away in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see the beauty, believe in them and try to follow where they lead."
I look at my dreams daily and work towards them with each small step I take. How do you look at your success towards your dreams? How do you cope with feelings of success? Please do share it would be great to know how many ways we all handle the challenge of working towards success.
Until tomorrow,
Mary Catherine George
LifeChoices Coach

No comments: