Monday, June 25, 2007

Multitasking Multiple Projects



I know that many of you are like me. You are managing many projects, plus families and careers. The number of things to address in a day can be over the top. I know, I sometimes feel that I need a Global Positioning System tool just so I know where and what I am doing and what is next. I definitely cannot keep everything in my head.

The tool I use consists of a notebook that has 2 large grids. These grids list all the projects and items to accomplish. I started doing this because of the research work I do. I work with these grids each day. I focus on 4 projects at a time and only 4 personal life pursuits. I review them each weekend and make changes and updates. I would never be capable of doing what I do without this tracking tool. Each project has its own box with time lines and dates and to do's. In the back of this notebook, I have a section for tracking new ideas. It is there that I keep track of creative ideas and projects that I would like to pursue in the future. I look at these once per month just to reassure myself that I haven't lost them or to see how I can place them into the "now" tool.

The other thing that I do during my weekly review, is journal after each week what were the barriers and successes that happened. This truly is the best part. I can really tell what holds me back and actions help. Highlighting how projects are going and I how I work each week truly is a revelation at times. What can be even more supportive is when I share this with my coaching group.

Painful and powerful are the words that come to mind when I think about reviewing the process of growth in my life. When I see how my actions either move me forward or hold me back, it is very clear about what to do. In the moment it isn't very clear but in retrospect, I can see how different choices were possible and perhaps to consider different actions in the coming week. Especially, if I see repetitive behavior that doesn't serve me.


So, how do you keep track of everything you are doing and evaluating your process and progress? I cannot tell you how important it is to look back and get a big picture view. The information that I get when I do that is telling. It tells me to take a few things off the grid, take a deep breath and it isn't always necessary to get everything "I think" needs to be done or when to reward myself. Getting caught up in the frenzy of the efforts to work on multiple projects can be detrimental, but not if you have a system to help you.

Please share how you track and manage your busy life. It would be great to see how many people do different things. Sharing keeps us learning.

Mary Catherine George

LifeChoices Coach

No comments: