Saturday, June 23, 2007

Creativity and Inspiration


I sometimes feel that I am overwhelmed with creative and inspiring ideas. Inside my head, I feel that I need to take action on all of this energy. I have learned that if I lose track of what I am currently working on, I end up with several projects all in the middle or some just with a beginning and NONE of them completed.
It is challenging to postpone taking action on ideas that pop into your mind or that suddenly pull on the heart strings of your inspiration. I know for me I need to do something to acknowledge the wonderful feeling these creative and inspiring ideas give me.
What to do? How do I stay focused on the current project that at one time I felt those first stirrings of creativity and inspiring energy? I have learned that when I find myself in this predicament, I make a decision, but first I ask myself the following questions:
Does one of the new creative ideas wow me so much that I need to take action now?
Can I just place these ideas in my creativity book and come back to them?
Can I channel this inspiring energy to my current project to complete it so I can move on?
It is important to keep a book of your creative or inspiring thoughts. This way you can make decisions of what is most important. You can tell yourself "Hey, I have a special place that I can keep track of those ideas so I don't feel like they will get lost." Also, some of my ideas that I am crazy for in the moment, after some time they don't feel like the right fit.
So, the next time you have ideas filling your head with inspiration and take you off track, take a moment and make a decision on where you want to focus. Is there one idea you just can't take your mind off? Does this idea capture your attention or can you steer that inspiring energy to your current project? Please share with me how you deal with your inspiring moments that fill you with tons of creative ideas.
Until tomorrow,
Mary Catherine George
LifeChoices Coach



No comments: