Sunday, June 10, 2007

Getting Started


I always find that getting started on anything is the most challenging. Taking that first step or making the first move, we somehow finds ways to convince our self there is still time in the future.
Unfortunately, we need to overcome whatever it is that we do so that we can make first steps. Recognizing, if it is fear, or a lack of clarity that creates an atmosphere of delay. Sometimes, it is just an issue of organization or not being sure you want to truly commit the time and effort on a project, or it could be the project itself, has emotions for you that create a feeling of hesitancy.
Whatever it is, finding a method, process or a special place that allows you to take first steps is critical. Many a project or concept has languished in the mind to never see the light of day because of never having a first step taken.
It is challenging to recognize this issue because it can be subtle. I know that I can be very clever about delaying a project that needs my attention with very good and real reasons not to start. For me organizing and having a special place are the criteria that have most helped me get started. Also, have an end in sight, or an idea that if something specific happens that, it may be a project that I need to give up.
Above all, recognizing my fear factor around a project or task is critical as well. I always try to determine how afraid I am with the scale of 1-10 with 1 being none and 10 be the most fear I can imagine. If a project or task has a huge fear factor, I know that I need support and a reward lanned when I start. If the fear is small, I schedule time and reward for the project or task. I know that scheduling time and rewarding myself helps me take those first steps.
So the next time you find yourself not taking the first step on a project ask yourself the following questions:
1) Have you organized and determined where to start?
2) Have you set aside time in your schedule that will give the project attention?
3) Do you have some guidelines that will help you determine if the project is still a priority?
4) Do you feel nervous or fearful about taking the first step in a project - rate your fear?
5) Have you planned a reward or support around the task or project that is equal to your efforts?
Respecting the courage it takes to make a first step in a new direction is extremely important. I know that the new ideas and projects I have are like infants. They need support, care and my undivided attention. Share your experiences around taking that first step towards a project or task. Everyone is unique and we could all benefit from sharing.
Thanks,
Mary Catherine George
LifeChoices Coach
Photos courtesy of www.snakenationpress.org

No comments: