Saturday, June 30, 2007

Side Tracked by Money


As someone whose goal is to have my own business, it is very challenging not to get side tracked by an offer to make money doing something other than my passion. I know I struggle with this issue. Someone will recommend me for a certain project and feeling poor, I will accept.

This can throw a big interruption into my normal process of moving forward with my primary goals. It is very hard to turn down money for doing work that I am familiar with producing. Work that is not my primary passion has provided me with a roof over my head and food and cloths. Balancing these opportunities is challenging.

I cannot afford sometimes to say no, but I wonder sometimes what opportunity am I closing the door on in the work that I love. Time does not stop nor stay still for anyone. Ultimately, there is limited time. Focusing on what truly would move me forward in my passion would potentially pay off. This is where it takes discretion.

So, before you take the next opportunity that provides cold hard cash, measure the amount of and time and effort this would take you away from your passions primary goal? Is it worth being side tracked momentarily or will you lose momentum on a critical project that will pay off just in the future. If you can afford to say no to an opportunity that side tracks you, it would probably be the best choice. Of course, if the money is needed, well I think the decision is clear. Or, if the issue is you could use the money for your passion to move forward well I think that too provides clarity on what choice to make.

Again, the issue is to take time to acknowledge that all offers to make some money doing something that is not our passion needs consideration. I know that is where I need to focus. I am too quick to say yes sometimes. Please feel free to share what you do when offered money for work that you do not love to do.

Until tomorrow,
Mary Catherine George
LifeChoices Coach

1 comment:

Unknown said...

http://mouronval.blogspot.com/ Te invito a visitar mi blog.