Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Summer Sleepiness


What is it about the summertime that makes me want to just find a hammock somewhere and take a nap? During the summer, I struggle with feeling sleepy. If the room is warm or it is warm outside and I am suddenly cooled off by air conditioning, I am overcome with this sensation of a desperate need to lie down and take a nap.

Believe me this is not a convenient problem during the summer. I struggle to stay awake and concentrate on the issues at hand. It is also extremely embarrassing to find myself overwhelmed with that feeling when I am in a meeting. Rarely do I have that feeling when working with a client, but still, I am afraid that it might show up.

This summer, I have decided to stop fighting the feeling. I am going to shut my office door and close my eyes for a brief moment and just give into the feelings. Perhaps, this will help me. In fact, I find that to continue to fight something that my body is craving is a useless fight. The body at some point will win. Plus, the entire time I am struggling with the sleepiness, I am useless.

So, I will become a mini-napper during the summer and see if this approach somehow helps me, or perhaps I just need to take a very long vacation where I indulge into a lot of daily napping. The Europeans definitely do have a nice idea about the afternoon siesta. Plus, my mother is strong believer in the cat nap. Maybe this is something I inherited.

Meanwhile, is there something that you struggle with physically that just persists no matter what you have tried. Please share some of these issues. We may not find complete solutions but perhaps a few tools that will make them less problematic. So, I am going to close my door now and have a mini-nap. I will report.

Until tomorrow,
Mary Catherine George
LifeChoices Coach

No comments: