Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Connections


The Internet is a wonderful thing. It was a lesson to me just how critical it is to what I do in my life. Having access to the Internet is something I need to consider when I travel or I need to make a different choices.
The past several days, I was down South in a small town that doesn't have a cyber-cafe. YIKES!! My mother's dial up connection was definitely not cutting it for me to do what I needed for my work on the Internet. So, I was without connection plain and simple. I couldn't check my e-mail, or write the blog or do my normal research for my various interests or the vast list of tasks that I complete on the computer using the Internet.
This was a humbling experience. I realized I stay connected to numerous projects and people through the Internet. Suddenly faced without this connection - there was a huge empty space in my daily schedule. What to do? Well, I decided it is better to take advantage of this time and make a deeper connection with myself and to re-connect with my family and friends.
Writing and reading more and spending time with myself was truly rewarding. I felt a surge of creativity that was nice. Also, re-connecting with my family gave me a new perspective on my past relationships with them. I was more willing to see how some of my behavior may have kept a distance between us.
Of course, when I could re-connect with the Internet - I did feel an internal sigh of relief. It also made me realize that I do need to walk away from the computer and make phones calls or coffee dates with friends. Somehow the computer is not as satisfying as hearing a friendly voice sigh in relief or laugh in kind over some shared viewpoint or seeing a face smile or nod in a silent moment of human understanding.
So, consider how much time do you spend either at work or doing solitaire activities? Finding time to connect with friends and family is critical to creating a life that is full. Even if I do feel they somehow intrude on the ideas and projects that I have planned. It is a welcomed intrusion and probably one that is much needed.
Until tomorrow,
Mary Catherine George
LifeChoicesCoach




My first feelings were a sense of not being responsible.

No comments: