Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Fighting Frustration

Sometimes situations are just out of my control. I know this but
I find it challenging to embrace it at first. Like today, it is hot and the humidity is getting to me. The projects that I am working on are overwhelming and I just don't feel like I am making any progress.

Then just to add another boulder on to my shoulders, the power goes out. Frozen. Nothing can be done. I am totally powerless to do anything. In the moment it is startling and you feel like - HEY! Why is this happening?

I find myself suddenly laughing and thinking that God must have heard my secret prayer. Because the power has shut down for an unknown reason, everything MUST stop. There is no deadline. No expectation. I am released from my momentary misery. Of course, I will be dealing with deadlines and headaches tomorrow, but for now, it is sweet relief.

I wish I could plan this unexpected interruption automatically when things become piled up. It would be a nice reminder that ultimately, I am not in control. I must surrender and be humbled by powers greater than me. I love being reminded of how truly minor the issues can be. I will not be remembered for how well I did my job or how punctual I was with projects. I will be remembered for how I treated people and how I interacted with my family, friends, colleagues and others. Truly that is what counts in the life.

So, no matter how important a project is or planning or deadlines are, keeping what truly counts in mind is critical. Acknowledging that it is people that matter and how we are in this world. Remembering this will always keep frustration at bay.

Please share with how you cope with frustration and the tools you employ. We all encounter moments of frustration and how we handle them is important. Allowing frustration to turn you into a grump or discourage you from pursuing your dream would be sad indeed.

Until tomorrow,
Mary Catherine George
LifeChoices Coach

No comments: